Early Years Building Firm Foundations
EYFS: Building Firm Foundations in Reception
|Type: Work Group||For: EYFS teachers|
|Time: 6 half days||Cost: free of charge|
This Work Group is aimed at schools who are currently developing mastery across their school. Practitioners and senior leaders will develop their understanding as to how Early Years Best Practice feeds into a teaching for mastery approach and supports progression through the school.
Work Group Focus
Building clear progression in mathematical concepts and how to make these accessible to young children
Supporting schools in providing a consistent message about high quality maths provision in the Early Years
Developing an understanding of how to link teaching in EYFS and a mastery approach in KS1
Work Group Expectations
This Work Group is aimed at schools who have a strong commitment to building firm mathematical foundations in Reception.
Schools are expected to:
Send a Reception teacher to each half-termly work group session, led by a trained NCETM Early Years Work Group Lead. If schools are also participating in another Teaching for Mastery programme, the lead teacher/Maths Lead should also attend. Head teachers are also expected to attend relevant sessions.
Engage in research as part of their independent learning through the duration of this project.
Carry out in-school work focusing on the EYFS teacher, Maths Lead and a member of the senior leadership team developing and improving.
EYFS booklet of ideas
Work Group Outcomes
- Teachers demonstrate an understanding of progression mathematics and how that is translated into direct teaching and other Early Years provision
- Teachers demonstrate how the principles of the NCETM teaching for mastery approach can be applied appropriately within the context of a Reception classroom
- Teachers demonstrate that they have made the mathematics accessible to all children and have closed the gap in attainment
- Teachers identify and report a clear progression in mathematics concepts and plan for focused learning
Whole School/Departmental Policies and Approaches
- Maths and senior leaders can identify effective direct teaching for younger children
- Senior leaders support the EYFS team and Maths Lead to develop a clear progression of mathematical pedagogy from Foundation Stage through the school
- The school leadership team can demonstrate a clear progression in mathematics concepts and planning for focused learning in EYFS provision
- The school leadership team models an expectation that all children should develop the knowledge, understanding and skills and attitude/confidence to ensure they can access learning in Year 1
- Pupils demonstrate a positive attitude towards maths
- Pupils are seeking out maths in their environment
- Pupils demonstrating a willingness to ‘have a go’
- Pupils can communicate their mathematical ideas
If you have any further questions please contact: