|Type: Work Group||For: Teachers and Maths Leads|
|Time: 6 half days + school visits||Funding: £1000 participation grant|
This Work Group aims to support Teaching for Mastery to develop from individual enthusiasm to long term, sustainable, whole-school development.
Mastery Development Focus
Engage teachers and subject leaders in practice-based professional development activity to ensure long term, sustainable, whole-school developments.
Develop groups of schools where strong curriculum, teaching and professional development practices related to mathematics can be shared more widely.
Work Group Expectations
Participating teachers are required to:
Attend half-termly, collaborative, work group sessions, which are led by a trained NCETM Mastery Specialist and offer schools the opportunity to observe mastery style lessons and plan together.
Participate in termly, bespoke, 1:1 school visits carried out by the Work Group Specialist, to support the school in the development of its action plan. Headteacher engagement is also therefore expected throughout.
Work Group Outcomes
- Teachers improve their mathematical knowledge
- Teachers report increased knowledge of what progression in maths looks like
- Teachers develop a deep understanding of the principles of TfM and its associated pedagogies
- Head teachers and teachers report a commitment to the importance of embedded, collaborative professional development structures in the school to support deep and sustainable professional learning and practice
Participating teachers develop the ability to plan effective maths lessons that reflect a TfM approach.
Some other teachers in the participating school improve their ability to plan effective maths lessons that reflect a TfM approach.
School leaders ensure professional development practices are in place so that the cycle of change can be implemented.
Whole School Policies and Approaches
- Schools create a clear set of principles, policies, practices and systems (including curriculum and staffing/ timetable developments) which embody a mastery curriculum and a teaching for mastery approach
- Schools establish systems to support ongoing professional learning
- Using schools’ internal data and reflections by teachers, participating teachers can demonstrate that improved pupil learning is taking place
- All pupils show a positive attitude towards maths, enjoy learning the subject and demonstrate a growth mindset
If you have any further questions please contact: